5.01.2007

Wilco


Wilco
Sky Blue Sky
[5/5]

In 2002, Wilco sold over 500,000 copies of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Although the sales alone set it apart from their previous efforts, it was also a legendary rock album for its content. Wilco made their mark with wailing guitars, odd-reverb effects, and beautiful lyrics and melodies. Two years later, Wilco shocked the world with A Ghost Is Born. Yes it did win a Grammy, but it was heavily criticized for its departure from the traditional style. The album is a difficult listen, but a special kind of listener will deeply enjoy it. It was an introspective album about self-development and a lot of people did not want that, but I loved it. I honestly think that A Ghost Is Born will be one of the most influential rock albums in the past decade, but people won’t realize its power for a while. The distortions on this album turn into the guitar riffs; something I have never heard before. Now it’s 2007, and what should you expect from Wilco? After struggling to find themselves over the past five years, Sky Blue Sky illustrates Wilco at their finest. They have done a complete 360 and returned to their roots. But its not just alternative country, its alternative country with 13 years of Wilco experience. All of the remarkable aspects of their past work have been brewed into a solid mix of jazzy euphoria. Take for example the track “Impossible Germany”: It is a better rendition of Jesus Etc. I know that may be hard to comprehend, but yes, it is better. Unlike the introspective lyrics of A Ghost Is Born, this album focuses on the beauty of love. Many times the lyrics are simple, but they work perfectly. Jeff Tweedy said he wanted to make this album simpler, and he did. But I think it’s a little more than simple; it’s simply amazing.

No comments: